Friday 3 April 2009

RE:



I made some of these little tea light holders last year, we live on pesto in this house, so I always have loads of these little jars around. I especially like the sainsburys own brand, because they have a pretty ribbed neck. 
They look so pretty on a warm evening, hung on branches, or lined up along walls or tables. Last time I just left them plain, but this year I thought I'd pretty them up a bit.


my first thought was to use some of my ribbon stash, but then I thought I could use some left over fabric scraps instead, which is more along the reuse, recycle theme, so out came the box of fabric scraps, useless for most sewing projects, but I just can't bear to through them away.

I think they look really pretty, I really like the effect of the torn fabric, and the only thing that I bought to make them was a reel of wire which I got from the florist for a couple of quid, and I still have loads left. They would be lovely for a country style wedding on a budget, you could use baby food jars as well, and because they require so little money and effort to make, you could afford have loads of them dotted around.


I've decided that I'm going to use them for little posies of flowers for my birthday lunch at the end of the month, it's going to be outside on our soon to be finished decking, so I will be praying for a sunny day, and in the meantime I better be cracking on with making some more bunting. I think I will have rhubarb eton mess (new family favourite) in pretty teacups for pudding too.

17 comments:

  1. What a great idea and especially great as it's all free! I must have a rummage through my jars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look absolutely gorgeous, especially with the little posy in. I'm loving the sound of rhubarb Eton Mess! What a great idea - I will be making that asap!
    Cathy XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very pretty & perfectly spring-like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - they are so lovely - we have pesto at least once/week and I wash the jars and stick them in the recycling. I shall be saving them from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect picture of the posy of flowers, very springlike.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh yeah they're fab! Like them a lot. We eat a lot of pesto AND have a floristry supplies shop right nearby so guess what I will be making soon!

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jess,
    Oh your birthday sounds like it's going to be a wonderful time, puddings in tea cups, bunting and those pretty candle jar tea lights.
    Please can lots of photos and share honey. Wishing you lots of sunhine for your special day.
    Many hugs,
    Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how simple they are! They are very pretty, and I completely agree with you about the fabric scraps. I have a whole bag full because I made pajama pants for Christmas gifts last year. I just had to save them. You pay so much money for fabric sometimes. It hurts to throw pieces away. haha My wedding isn't going to be country, but it will be Fall themed. I might be able to make that work! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been saving jars so that I can put wire around them and hang them from our tree in the summer. Yours look really pretty with their springlike ribbons tied around them and I love your ideas for using them too.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  10. those are so adorable, and I love the idea of serving eton mess in tea cups - I just bought some new (old) tea cups xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya! Just started reading your blog! I found it thru Ziakoko as I had a fab pink & white spotty blind made for my daughter Ariana's room a while back. Decided to check back to see what new things they had & found a link for White Verandah. I am loving your blog especially all the pretty colourful pictures! They certainly do cheer you up! You are lucky to be so talented with all the pretty things you make! Will check back now and again for more!
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello have been reading your lovely blog for a while and it has inspired me to start my own. Have been looking for something to do with rhubarb instead of crumble! Thanks for brightening up my days with your blog!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The jars looks lovely, I did a few last year. I agree a great way to recycle and it looks so chic too. Fingers crossed weather will be good for your birthday . So they can glow xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, these jars looks so cute. What a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awh... These candle holders are so pretty :) What a clever idea!
    Your new follower, Juanita.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love these and I hope you don't mind but I am going to copy the idea for our garden. We have a tree right in the middle of the lawn and I was only thinking the other night how pretty it would look on a summer evening with candles hanging from it. This will be a perfect(and cheap) solution. Just got to save a few jars now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate every one (even if I don't manage to reply to them all - I tend to get sidetracked quite easily) and it always brings a little smile to my face when I discover one in my inbox.